Another couple weeks have passed, and we’ve got another development update on Version 3.0 of Easy Digital Downloads. Here are your changes since the last update.
New refund UI and APIs
In the past refunding items and orders didn’t quite follow basic tenants of the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, or GAAP for short. This could create difficult situations in support when coming back to an order weeks, months, or even years later, to determine what was actually done with an order. Refunding an order was an all or nothing experience. If you wanted to remove a single item, it was completely removed from the order. As you may have experienced, this was less than ideal.
In EDD 3.0, we’ve completely changed how refunds operate. Refunds are now a specific type of ‘order’. Since a refund is similar to an order, they exist in the same database table with a type of ‘refund’. They also have related order items, which are the specific items refunded. You can refund some or all of the items from an order. Refunds can also have their own transaction IDs. We’ve worked up a user experience that I think will highlight this process here:
Next up for the refund process is getting gateway functionality baked in so that this new way of processing refunds works as seamlessly as possible with your enabled gateways.
Other improvements and bug fixes
- Fixed a bug in the get_average_refund_time method, which caused a MySQL error. (#7148)
- When creating a new order, tax calculations were failing when quantities were disabled. (#7072)
- Further improved the view/edit order details Customer information section (#7052)
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the status counts of orders to be incorrect when filtering the list table. (#7079)
- Improved the way the product dropdown works with bundles. (#6760)
- Improved timezone compatibility with PHP 5.5 and lower. (#7130)
Major updates yet to tackle
- Improve the upgrade routines for stability – A host of improvements are in the works to make the upgrade routines more stable and accurate as well as fault tolerant.
- Extension testing and compatibility – The time has come, to start working through extensions and make sure we can pre-release any known compatibility issues prior to 3.0 being released.
So those are the major changes since our last update. Keep looking for these posts until we hit the release date in order to make sure your upgrade to Easy Digital Downloads 3.0 is as smooth as possible.