New features in Stripe payment gateway
Our payment gateway for Stripe received a significant update this morning that adds several important features for site owners. We would love to briefly show you the new updates.
Billing address field options
One of the most often requested features since our Stripe gateway was released more than three years ago has been an option to disable billing address fields. It may have taken three years to get there, but today we’re excited to say that we have finally introduced an option to define how the billing address fields are displayed.
In the Stripe payment gateway settings, there is now a Billing Address Display option:
This will permit site owners to choose from three options:
- Full address – Choosing this option will result in a complete address form being displayed.
- Zip / Postal Code and Country only – Choosing this option will result in a simplified billing address form being displayed that contains just a zip / postal code field and a country field.
- No address – Choosing this option will result in no billing address fields being displayed.
These settings allow site owners to simplify the checkout form and make it more likely that customers will complete their purchase.
Stripe Checkout options
With the update to 2.5 this morning, we have introduced support for enabling the Stripe Checkout modal payment window on the main Easy Digital Downloads checkout page. This can further simplify the checkout process while simultaneously making checkout more secure, faster, and even more feature rich.
By adding support for Stripe Checkout on the main checkout form, we have also introduced support for two other significant features:
- Site owners can now accept Alipay payments from customers through their Stripe account. See Stripe’s information page.
- We have added support for purchasing subscriptions through Stripe Checkout and our Recurring Payments plugin.
- We have reduced the friction of purchasing for customers.
- We have added support for simplified repeat customer purchasing thanks to Stripe’s “Remember Me” option.
The complete changelog for version 2.5 can be seen on our Stripe Payment Gateway product page.
We’re very excited to have this update ready for all of you. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!