Are you looking for the best WordPress hosting for eCommerce?
Your hosting service is an investment in your eCommerce success and can make or break the customer experience. So it’s important to choose wisely.
🔎 In this article, I’ll cover:
Importance of eCommerce Hosting
There are many advantages to using WordPress as your Content Management System (CMS)— which is why more than 43% of all websites are powered by it. WordPress users range from beginner bloggers to seasoned eCommerce website owners. It’s flexible, versatile, and highly scalable.
However, the importance of choosing the right hosting platform for your WordPress site can’t be understated.
A good hosting company is like a dedicated store manager, ensuring everything runs smoothly. Slow loading times, frequent downtimes, and security breaches can drive customers away faster than a grumpy cashier.
On the other hand, a solid web hosting provider can improve your Search Engine Optimization (SEO) rankings, user experience, security, and more.
But with so many hosting companies and hosting packages to choose from, deciding which one is the best for your specific needs can be challenging.
Types of WordPress Hosting for eCommerce
Before you begin exploring the various hosting options, it helps to understand the different types of WordPress hosting that are available.
Here’s a breakdown of different types and their pros/cons to help you choose:
- Shared hosting plans are the most affordable option. But your resources are shared with other websites, potentially impacting performance. It can be an excellent option for small or low-traffic stores.
- Virtual Private Server or VPS hosting plans offer more resources and control than shared hosting but are still managed by the provider. While these plans are generally scalable and suitable for medium-traffic stores, they require more technical knowledge and are less user-friendly than managed options.
- Managed WordPress hosting offers the ultimate hands-off solution. With a managed WordPress hosting account, the provider handles all server maintenance and optimization. This includes automatic updates and basic security features. While it’s more expensive than shared hosting, you can expect faster loading times and better overall performance.
- Dedicated hosting is the most powerful and expensive option, giving you the most resources and control over the server environment. Most small businesses don’t require a dedicated server as they’re geared primarily toward high-traffic stores with high-security needs.
What to Look for in Hosting Solutions
There’s no one-size-fits-all hosting solution for WordPress eCommerce sites. Here are some factors to consider when looking for the best WordPress hosting service for your eCommerce site.
- Store size & traffic volume: Choose a plan with enough resources and scalability to handle your expected traffic. While it may not be a major concern now, eventually you may want to upgrade to a plan with unlimited bandwidth and global data centers.
- Budget: Hosting costs vary widely. In addition to the plan itself, consider the potential additional expenses for premium add-ons, templates, or other functionality. Many reputable hosting companies offer a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Website performance requirements: eCommerce websites often have complex needs. It’s important to ensure your provider can guarantee optimal performance with fast loading times, high uptime guarantees, and built-in caching mechanisms.
- Technical skills: Choose a website hosting option that matches your comfort level with website management and maintenance. For example, many WordPress hosting plans offer one-click installations and beginner-friendly control panels.
- Security: Strong security features like DDoS protection and SSL certificates are critical to protect your customers’ data and your business.
- Support: Consider the amount of customer support included with each plan, as well as the online documentation and tutorials that are available. Research hosting reviews to see what other users have said about the hosting company’s support.
By considering these factors and weighing the pros and cons of different hosting types, you can choose the best option for your specific WordPress eCommerce site.
Best WordPress Hosting for eCommerce
Now that you understand the importance of choosing reliable web hosting services for your WordPress site, it’s time to explore some of the top options. Below are some of the best WordPress hosting providers to consider for your online store.
Best Web Hosts for eCommerce Sites (Compared)
|Web Hosting Company
|$2.99 – $7.99/mo
|Growing stores, serious about performance & security; Easy Digital Downloads users
|$1.99 – $8.99/mo
|Budget-conscious startups, smaller stores transitioning to managed hosting
|$13 – $600/mo
|High-volume stores, demanding performance & scalability
|$4.95 – $79.95/mo
|Budget-conscious businesses, multi-site owners considering managed hosting
|$2.49 – $8.99/mo
|Absolute beginners, startups on a tight budget
If you’re interested in managed WordPress hosting for eCommerce, I highly recommend SiteGround. SiteGround has earned official recognition from WordPress.org for its optimized platform and specialized tools for WordPress. Each plan includes fast loading times, excellent customer support, and built-in security features.
It’s particularly useful if you plan to power your eCommerce store with Easy Digital Downloads to sell digital products and downloads. SiteGround’s hosting infrastructure is fully compatible with EDD requirements, ensuring smooth operation.
SiteGround’s Managed EDD hosting plans include:
- One-click WordPress + Easy Digital Downloads installs
- Free SSL certificates
- Pre-configured setup wizard
- Reliable uptime
- SSD storage and Google Cloud server
- Built-in SuperCacher for lightning-fast loading times
- Managed security with PCI compliance & daily backup
- 24/7 expert support with EDD knowledge
- User-friendly custom control panel
- Web Application Firewalls (WAFs) & DDoS protection
Additionally, SiteGround offers dedicated WooCommerce hosting plans with optimized settings and pre-installed plugins to enhance your online store performance.
Pricing: Managed WordPress hosting plans at SiteGround start at $2.99 per month.
Another highly rated web hosting provider to consider for your WordPress website is Bluehost. With reliable and affordable hosting plans, easy-to-use tools, and 24/7 customer support, it’s a hassle-free option that can be suitable for a wide variety of online businesses.
Similar to SiteGround, Bluehost is also officially recommended by WordPress.org. You can find specialized WordPress and WooCommerce hosting options, options ranging from shared hosting for beginners to dedicated servers for high-traffic websites.
Most Bluehost plans include:
- Free domain name registration
- Let’s Encrypt SSL certificates
- One-click WordPress installations
- Built-in marketing tools & SEO features
- Automatic WordPress core & plugin updates
- Plans with unlimited storage & bandwidth
- User-friendly interface & cPanel
- Automatic updates & pre-installed WordPress plugins
- 24/7 customer support team available via phone, live chat, & email
Pricing: Bluehost plans start at $1.99 per month.
WPEngine is a top-notch managed WordPress hosting provider specializing in high-performance hosting for demanding websites and online stores.
It leverages Google Cloud Platform infrastructure and its EverCache technology to deliver blazing-fast loading times crucial for eCommerce success. Its built-in security features and automatic scaling ensure your website remains secure and can handle sudden traffic spikes without downtime.
WPEngine focuses on managed WordPress hosting, offering various plans to cater to different website sizes and traffic volumes. It takes care of all WordPress updates, security, and server management, freeing you to focus on your business. You can also enjoy 24/7 expert support from WordPress specialists, ensuring quick and knowledgeable assistance.
WPEngine key features include:
- Hosting plans suitable for startups to enterprise-grade performance
- Easy Digital Downloads & WooCommerce integration
- eCommerce optimization, features & performance monitoring
- Automated backups, security audits & malware scanning
- High-performance infrastructure for global reach
- Marketing tools integration (Mailchimp, ActiveCampaign, etc.)
Pricing: WPEngine pricing starts at $13 per month.
DreamHost is a well-established web hosting provider offering a diverse range of services, from shared hosting for beginners to managed WordPress hosting for serious online businesses.
With over 20 years in the industry and an official WordPress.org-approved seal, DreamHost boasts extensive experience and expertise in hosting WordPress websites. DreamHost provides optimized servers and dedicated tools for both WordPress and WooCommerce, ensuring smooth performance and ease of use.
Its options include shared, VPS, cloud, and dedicated hosting. DreamPress is its managed WordPress hosting service, which is optimized for WordPress sites and online stores.
DreamHost key features include:
- 100% uptime guarantee
- Free SSL certificates
- Automatic backups
- Spam protection
- User-friendly custom control for website management
- DreamPress managed WordPress hosting
- Updated PHP versions
- Staging environments
- Dedicated WordPress & WooCommerce support
- One-click installation & pre-configured settings
- Easy Digital Downloads integration
- Ecommerce marketing tools & add-on services for email accounts
- 24/7 support
- Free Cloudflare CDN
Cost-effective option for multiple websites, automatic updates, basic security features, CDN for improved speed, managed hosting upgrade path.
Pricing: DreamHost’s basic WordPress hosting plans start at $4.95 per month, with managed hosting plans starting at $16.95 per month.
Rounding out our list of best WordPress hosting for eCommerce is Hostinger. This rapidly growing web hosting provider is known for its exceptional performance, comprehensive features, and affordable pricing.
Officially recommended by WordPress.org, Hostinger offers optimized servers and dedicated WordPress tools for seamless performance and ease of use. With its LiteSpeed Web Server and LiteSpeed Cache, Hostinger delivers exceptional site speeds crucial for eCommerce success.
Hostinger is a compelling choice for WordPress and eCommerce hosting, especially for budget-conscious users. It caters to a variety of hosting requirements, from shared to cloud hosting. Its powerful features, strong performance, and user-friendly platform make it a great fit for Easy Digital Downloads and WooCommerce stores.
Some of its notable features include:
- 99.9% uptime guarantees to minimize downtime
- Automatic backups, DDoS protection, SSL certificates & other security features
- Intuitive, user-friendly hPanel interface & website builder
- Free built-in Cloudflare Content Delivery Network (CDN)
- Integration with Easy Digital Downloads & WooCommerce
- One-click installations & pre-configured settings
- Free domain name
- 24/7 support
Pricing: Hostinger pricing starts at $2.49 per month.
Final Verdict: Best eCommerce Hosting
SiteGround, Bluehost, and WP Engine offer more robust hosting solutions optimized for WordPress and eCommerce sites, including features like staging environments, dedicated IPs, and managed hosting. They have higher pricing tiers.
DreamHost and Hostinger offer more basic shared hosting plans but at lower price points. Their features are still solid but not tailored for eCommerce.
For a balanced option, SiteGround GrowBig offers a nice middle ground with optimized WordPress hosting and competitive pricing.
FAQs on WordPress Hosting for eCommerce
Let’s wrap up with some frequently asked questions about web hosting for eCommerce sites.
What features should I look for in a WordPress host?
Prioritize performance and security with fast loading times, uptime guarantees, and SSL certificates. Don’t forget eCommerce-specific features like WooCommerce or Easy Digital Downloads integrations and marketing tools to boost your online store. Choose a scalable and reliable host that grows with your business and keeps your customers protected.
How much is WordPress hosting for eCommerce?
Prices vary depending on your needs and chosen provider. Shared hosting can be as low as $5/month, while managed plans can reach $300+/month.
Do WordPress.com & WordPress.org both require hosting?
WordPress.com handles all hosting for you, meaning you don’t need to find a separate provider. Compared to the self-hosted WordPress.org option, WordPress.com gives you less control over customization, WordPress themes and plugins, and monetization. With WordPress.org, you’ll need to choose a hosting provider and manage the setup yourself.
Get WordPress Hosting for eCommerce
Overall, SiteGround is the best choice for powering WordPress eCommerce sites, especially EDD stores. Its focus on performance, security, and ease of use makes it a reliable and user-friendly platform for your online business.
Choose your plan to get started within minutes!
Already have eCommerce hosting but still need to start your online store? Grab an Easy Digital Downloads pass today:
Using WordPress and want to get Easy Digital Downloads for free?
Enter the URL to your WordPress website to install.
Disclosure: Our content is reader-supported. This means if you click on some of our links, then we may earn a commission. We only recommend products that we believe will add value to our readers.